Thursday, November 17, 2022

Giving Thanks in Difficult Seasons

Welcome to the Thanksgiving season, where we all talk about the things we’re grateful for. ‘Tis the season and all that. But why should we be grateful? Many of you know that the past month and a half has been really tough for me. From babies passing away far too young, to multiple dear friends receiving difficult diagnoses, to the mundane issues of life like car problems, I’ve been reeling for weeks. And yet, I still choose to say, “I will praise the Lord.”

Why??? Nothing about this seems to make sense. I certainly haven’t *felt* like giving thanks much these past several weeks. And yet my soul still cries out to God in worship. Because thankfully (hehe), my reasons for giving thanks are not about my situation or circumstances. When things are going well I certainly have more reason to be thankful, but my thankfulness is not a response to my circumstances. Instead, my thankfulness is in response to God’s character. It is a position and an attitude that I choose because of who he is. And since his character is unchanging, my thankfulness should be as well.

God is loving and kind and merciful and gracious and good and so much more. He is my comforter in times of trouble, my rock and my safe fortress. I can trust him because I know that his heart breaks at the iniquities of this world even more than mine does AND he has a plan for restoring all things at the proper moment. He sees me and knows me, even better than I know myself, and he does not turn away. When the world around me shifts and breaks, he does not. His character does not. And because of that, because of who he is, I will give thanks.

 

Habakkuk 3:17-18

Though the fig tree does not bud and there are no grapes on the vines,
though the olive crop fails and the fields produce no food,
though there are no sheep in the pen and no cattle in the stalls,
yet I will rejoice in the Lord, I will be joyful in God my Savior.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be kind to others in your replies. Comments are moderated.

Learning & Growing

One of my main focuses for this year is short-term medical teams. Youth World has a few ministries that work with short-term teams and they ...